Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Future of Industrial Man, Chapter 6: Free Society and Free Government

I’ve been reading Hayeck’s book, The Road to Serfdom on my commute to work. It is background reading for this project, which is in itself background reading. As it happens, Drucker quotes Hayeck and Hayeck quotes Drucker. The references have been useful. Yet, I have been surprised how many of my peers take offense at the book. Many have been truly shocked “Are you reading that swill Hayeck?” they ask.

Not all of them do that, of course. I know more than a few University of Chicago Economists, though the Chicago School of economics is not all that thrilled with the members of the Austrian School.

These responses seem to me to fall victim to Drucker’s thoughts on truth. Is it just what the majority think? I’m trying to understand the computing age and that work is taking me here. I have to understand how Drucker thinks or I will just be espousing my own opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment